Crispy Chicken & Mango Tacos With Avocado Cream.
I’m a taco-holic. Seriously. I love how easy they are to make, and how many amazing combinations you can come up with. Sometimes I’ll have cod, sometimes prawn, more often I’ll go for chicken, but there’s always an entire packet of coriander involved, and an avocado or two…
I’ve been working on my taco game lately, and I’ve finally got a recipe to share. A recipe so great I’m going to have to stop myself for whipping these up every night this week! These are great if you don’t have much time in the evenings, as they’re super easy to redo and you can also save some chicken for leftovers. We keep a packet (or y’know, four) of the mini wraps in the freezer for taco time whenever we want.
I usually fry the chicken because it’s super quick, and you get really crispy chicken, but I suppose you could bake them if you prefer.
6 mini wraps
2 or 3 chicken breasts, cut in to strips around 6cm long
2 eggs, beaten lightly
1 cup flour
1 cup breadcrumbs
For The Cream
1 cup mayonnaise
3 or 4 jalapeno slices
1tbsp lime juice
1. To make the avocado cream, just throw the ingredients in to a blender or food processor and whizz until smooth. Pop the sauce in to the fridge while you prep the rest.
2. For the chicken breading, lay out four plates – one with the beaten eggs, another with the flour (and a bit of salt and pepper), and another with the breadcrumbs (add a bit of cajun spice to the breadcrumbs for an extra bit of flavour!). The last plate will be for the finished breaded chicken.
Take a strip of chicken, coat it in the flour mix, then dip it in the egg and finally roll it in the breadcrumb and cajun spice mix. Finally, lay the chicken strip on the last plate.
Do this for all the strips.
3. Add oil to a frying pan over low heat, you need enough so there’s about a cm or two of oil covering the bottom of the pan. Once the oil is hot, carefully add a batch of chicken and fry on each side until golden and cooked all the way through.
4. Once the chicken has cooked, remove and place on a few pieces of paper towel. Cook the remaining chicken until you’re finished.
5. Slice the other half of the avocado and the mango, and warm the wraps.
6. Compile your tacos! Lay down a bit of the avocado cream, add the avocado and mango slices, then a couple of strips of chicken and finish with another helping of avocado cream and a big sprinkle of coriander. Maybe even a splash of hot sauce, if you’re brave enough. Perfection!
Aren’t these the most heavenly tacos ever?